error 1624 hresult -2177024891

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum error 1624 hresult -2177024891

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    StevenPD
    Participant

I’m having trouble checking for updates on a server 2012 and I consistently receive the following error

Error 1624. HRESULT -2147024891: Access to the path ‘\servernameC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe’ is denied. This can occur when BatchPatch is already executing a Windows Update process on the target host. Please make sure the previous BatchPatch Windows Update process is complete before executing a new one. – 13:00:35

I’ve made sure I’m only running one batchpatch process against the server and verified I’m running it with an account that has full admin access to the server.

Thanks,

Steven

doug

This error occurs when BP tries to copy the BPRA (BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe) to the target system. If the file already exists there from a previous BatchPatch action and is locked because it is still in-use, then BP cannot overwrite it. Under normal circumstances BP removes it automatically after it completes an action. If BP did not remove it, then it likely was still running or somehow got orphaned (maybe the BP console was closed and so it lost connection to the target’s agent process, for example).

First, try ‘Actions > Windows updates > Re-attach orphan’

BP will attempt to re-connect to the previously running process, if it’s still executing on the target machine. If it’s not executing, then BP will not find an orphaned process to attach to. If it DOES attach to the orphan, then you’ll know that you did actually have a process that was still running. If it does not attach, then check in the target working directory (default is C:Program FilesBatchPatch) and see if the BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe already exists in that directory. If it does, see if you can delete it manually. Normally it would only ever be locked by the fact that it is executing, but it is also possible that it could get locked by an anti-virus software or similar HIPS or other security software.

If you don’t even find the BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exem but you continue to get the error, then it would have to be an access/permissions issue of some kind. Even if you have full admin access to the machine, something is going on where permissions are being denied when BP tries to write the BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe to the target working directory.

-Doug

StevenPD
    Participant

I tried the re-attach orphan and it sat executing batchpatchremoteagent for a while. I eventually rebooted the machine and gave the local users group permission to the batchpatch folder.

While troubleshooting the other issues I had, I changed over to paexec too.

Not sure what exactly lead to the fix on this item.

Steven

doug

Re-attach orphan was successful, indicating that the batchpatchremoteagent.exe was still running on the target. Normally it should complete within seconds or minutes, but in some rare cases the Windows Update Agent can take a very long time to return a result. In particular there have been tons of complaints all over the web to Microsoft about Windows 7 WUA taking way too long to run, but rarely does it happen with other operating systems. Win 2008 would have been a more likely culprit than 2012, but it sounds like in your case once you rebooted the target, it started responding properly/quickly once again. You will be able to switch back to PsExec and it should work just fine.

-Doug

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.