Error 1611: 59. Failure when installing windows update on Windows 10 1607

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Error 1611: 59. Failure when installing windows update on Windows 10 1607

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    svet
    Participant

Hi,

I have this issue on computers I’ve upgraded from Windows10 1511 to Windows10 1607 by applying KB3012973 via our internal WSUS.

Installing KB3012973 brings Windows 10 to ver 10.0.14393.0. Then I use BatchPatch to find the missing updates after initial 1607 version from the same WSUS. But when I execute “Download and install” on BatchPatch I receive Error 1611: 59. Failure

Here is the log:

Tue-11:19:54> Windows Update: Error 1611: 59. Failure

Tue-11:19:54> Windows Update: 4 update(s) found

Tue-11:19:14> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Tue-11:19:14> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Download and install updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ | Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Tue-11:19:14> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Tue-11:19:14> Windows Update: Initializing…

Tue-11:19:14> Windows Update: Queued… (Download and install updates)

Tue-11:18:11> Windows Update: 4 update(s) found

Tue-11:17:21> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Tue-11:17:21> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Search for updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ | Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Tue-11:17:21> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Tue-11:17:21> Windows Update: Initializing…

Tue-11:17:21> Windows Update: Queued… (Check for available updates)

I wasn’t able to find another case with that 59 failure on the forum. What does this error mean?

Thanks

doug

Error 1611: 59

First, in the ‘All Messages’ column what do you see the line right before the ‘Error 1611:59’ appears? We would generally expect to see another failure right before it such as:

“Failed to obtain result. ERROR MESSAGE”

59 is a Windows system error code:

ERROR_UNEXP_NET_ERR

59 (0x3B)

An unexpected network error occurred.

It’s unclear to me what might have caused this. I don’t think it’s an issue with BatchPatch. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the issue goes away on its own. What happens if you try again after rebooting the target computers?

svet
    Participant

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response.

Restarting the computer didn’t help. I did several tries. On one of the previous, there was “Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\PCNAMEC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.” error just before “Error 1611: 59. Failure”. After restarting the computer I deleted the folder C:Program FilesBatchPatch but I got “Error 1611: 59. Failure” again.

I think you are right, this doesn’t seem a BatchPatch issue. I think there is something wrong between Windows Update on the original 10.0.14393.0 version and the WSUS (Windows Server 2012 R2 WSUS). This was the 3rd computer I had the same issue. On the previous two, I was able to install the updates only after changing the computer’s settings so they could take the updates from Internet and not from WSUS. Then, they worked well with BatchPatch and WSUS for the following updates.

Thanks for the help.

Svet

doug

No problem. Unfortunately there is a known issue with Win 10 1607 and Server 2016 getting updates from WSUS. It’s not a BatchPatch issue. Have a look through some of the google results and you’ll see what I’m talking about…

https://www.google.com/#q=1607+wsus

Good news is there is a solution – A Microsoft rep here says https://marc.info/?l=patchmanagement&m=147689665032051&w=2

“This issue should be addressed by the cumulative update released in late September. My suggestion would be to install the latest cumulative update via some other method, then the issues should disappear.”

And from what I have read further, the latest cumulative update (currently November) will fix the issue, so you do not specifically need the September version.

So, one option would be to manually install the latest cumulative update via BatchPatch’s ‘Deployment’ method. Download the update directly from Microsoft’s website, and then push it to your targets using a BatchPatch deployment. Alternatively you could go to BatchPatch ‘Tools > Settings > Windows Update’ and change the ‘Server Selection’ to ‘Windows Update.’ This will prevent you from having to modify the group policy or registry key on target computers that controls where they receive updates from. When you check for updates after modifying this BatchPatch setting, the computers will check against the Microsoft public Windows Update server instead of your local WSUS. After you install the available updates from the public server, then things should start working again with your local WSUS.

-Doug

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.