Error 1611: 2. Failure

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Error 1611: 2. Failure

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by doug.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gwalker97
    Participant

Thanks for BatchPatch, it’s very useful.

I haven’t had much success with the Task Scheduler in my environment, with my scheduled tasks returning Error 1611: 2. Failure. Here are two logs from two servers after attempting scheduled tasks.

This first log is from a failed scheduled Update+Reboot cycle. This happens on any server I’ve attempted to schedule an Update+Reboot Cycle on. The server didn’t update or reboot.

Sun-06:00:31> Job Queue: Execution terminated. Timeout reached before host went offline and/or came back online.

Sun-05:00:31> Waiting for host to go offline and come back online…

Sun-05:00:31> Job Queue: Initiating ‘Wait for host to go offline and come back online’

Sun-05:00:31> Windows Update: Error 1611: 2. Failure

Sun-05:00:31> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\server1.localC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

Sun-05:00:26> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Sun-05:00:25> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Download and install updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ ¦ Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Sun-05:00:25> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Sun-05:00:25> Windows Update: Initializing…

Sun-05:00:25> Job Queue: Initiating ‘Download and install updates + reboot always’

Sun-05:00:25> Windows Update: Update/Reboot Cycle: Queued…

Sun-05:00:25> Scheduled Task: Initiating ‘Update + reboot cycle’ – Sunday – 04/10/16 – 05:00.

This second log was a test to see if scheduling two tasks on the same server would yield different results. In this case, I scheduled two Check For Updates tasks 4 minutes apart. The first task fails with Error 1611:2, but the second task completes successfully.

un-07:51:06> Windows Update: There are no applicable updates

Sun-07:50:26> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Sun-07:50:26> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Search for updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ ¦ Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Sun-07:50:26> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Sun-07:50:25> Windows Update: Initializing…

Sun-07:50:25> Windows Update: Queued…

Sun-07:50:25> Scheduled Task: Initiating ‘Check for available updates’ – Sunday – 04/10/16 – 07:50.

Sun-07:46:31> Windows Update: Error 1611: 2. Failure

Sun-07:46:31> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\server2.localC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

Sun-07:46:26> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Sun-07:46:26> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Search for updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ ¦ Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Sun-07:46:26> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Sun-07:46:25> Windows Update: Initializing…

Sun-07:46:25> Windows Update: Queued…

Sun-07:46:25> Scheduled Task: Initiating ‘Check for available updates’ – Sunday – 04/10/16 – 07:46.

I haven’t had any issues manually running Update+Reboot cycles or any other tasks on servers that failed scheduled tasks. I did run one additional set of scheduled Check For Updates tasks on server 2, and the tasks succeeded, so maybe it’s just the initial scheduled tasks that are failing(?). For the servers I’ve had failures on, it was the first time BatchPatch and psexec had ever been used on them if that matters.

doug

Please have a look through the following links which contain some possible solutions/fixes for the issue you are encountering. To me it sounds like PsExec is not working properly, but it’s hard to know why. Note that the error 2 you are receiving might be reported a bit differently than how it is reported in the links below because those are old postings where older versions of BP reported the error a bit differently. In your case you are seeing “Error 1611: 2. Failure” which indicates that PsExec is returning exit code 2. The 1611 just indicates the location in BP where the 2 was returned. It’s not relevant otherwise. The “2” is the relevant part of the error you are receiving because it’s the actual exit code being returned from the attempt to run the remote process.

error-2-very-often-server-2012-r2-on-domain-controllers

error-2-or-error-0

error-2-hresult-2147024894-could-not-find-file

Let me know how it goes.

-Doug

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.