Error 1601

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andyrew3
    Participant

I’ve got 3 1601 errors which are annoying the hell out of me. Any ideas on these?…

Error 1601: Failed to retrieve WMI info. The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) – 14:29:05

Error 1601: Failed to retrieve WMI info. Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED)) – 15:13:14

Error 1601: Failed to retrieve WMI info. Not found – 11:16:18

From what i can see all of these hosts respond to Ping requests and have valid DNS entries. ANy ideas?

doug

Please review: Troubleshooting Common Errors in BatchPatch

“RPC server is unavailable” is typically caused by one of the two following things:

1. RPC (remote procedure call) service is not running on the target computer. Make sure the service is started and set to ‘Automatic.’

2. Windows firewall, a third-party software firewall, or a network firewall is preventing RPC communication to the target host. Either disable the firewall altogether or make sure it is set to allow RPC communications to pass through. For instructions on configuring Windows firewall to work with BatchPatch, see this page: Using BatchPatch With Windows Firewall

“Call was canceled by the message filter” is also likely caused by a firewall preventing full/proper RPC communication.

“Not found” probably means WMI is broken on that computer or somehow corrupt. I used to see this error occasionally on Win 2003 machines. My recollection is there was some type of WMI memory issue that would cause it to occur sometimes when a Win 2003 machine was online for a while without being rebooted. Hence, this type of error is frequently fixed by a reboot. If a reboot doesn’t fix it then there’s a good chance you would need to repair/rebuild WMI on that computer.

Andyrew3
    Participant

Forgot to mention, Firewall disabled on the boxes and service is running and set to auto, still not good may bounce the boxes at the weekend and see if it finds them then

Thanks

doug

Is there a network firewall in between the machines and your BatchPatch machine? Is there a third-party (non-Windows) firewall installed? Is there a third-party HIPS or similar security software installed? Could be any one of those things. Doesn’t have to be just the Windows Firewall.

Also, if you run the batchpatch.exe (as administrator) directly on one of the problematic computers and then just enter that same computer into the grid to eliminate any network communications, you can see what happens. If you don’t get the WMI error when running locally on self, then the problem is surely network/firewall related.

sc-chirag
    Participant

I am new to BatchPatch. I turned off firewall on both the patching computer and the one that needs patching. I can ping each other’s IP address via the cmd prompt. I have checked for the services to be turned on – RPC, checked off WMI to be enabled, turned on Printing & Sharing settings. Ping via the BatchPatch GUI does not work – and I am still getting the error 1601 : Failed to retrieve WMI info.

At first I got the RPC server is unavailable, and not I got Invalid parameter.

I am adding hosts by ethernet/MAC addresses. At first I simply added them with the number, then I tried by adding the # before the number, then I tried with the colon punctuation in between every two digits. Is there something I am doing wrong?

doug

Host must be added by name or IP address. In order for name to work, name resolution on your network must work. The large majority of BatchPatch users simply enter the hostname. In some cases, people enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to ensure proper name resolution, but this depends on how your DNS is configured.

If you look at any of the numerous tutorials on our website, you’ll see that we always use either hostname or IP address. There are no cases that we use MAC. MAC is only useful for the Wake On LAN feature, but in that case the MAC must be added to the MAC column, not the hosts column.

More here: importing-hosts-and-other-information-into-a-batchpatch-grid

And: wake-on-lan-with-batchpatch

-Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.