-198: Failed to add scan package service. HRESULT: -2145124303

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum -198: Failed to add scan package service. HRESULT: -2145124303

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    n8johnson
    Participant

I am attempting to patch a 2016 box in offline mode and I’m getting the error “-198: Failed to add scan package service. HRESULT: -2145124303” I have checked the BITS and Windows Update services. They are running. I also disabled the firewall. I’m not sure where to turn from here. Thanks for any help.

doug

0x80240031 -2145124303 WU_E_INVALID_FILE file is not of the right format

I don’t think we’ve seen this particular error before, but it’s saying that the Windows Update Agent doesn’t like the WsusScn2.cab file. When you run BP in offline mode, the first thing it does is download the most recent version of this file from Microsoft to the BatchPatch cache directory (you can see the path of this directory in ‘Tools > Settings > Windows Update’ at the bottom). My only guess is the file is somehow corrupt. However, normally the WUA does a signature check on the file before doing anything, and it throws a different error if the signature doesn’t check out, so I’m not sure how this error that you received could occur since a corrupt file would fail the signature check and presumably throw a signature verification error, like what we have seen before. Anyway though, if you right click on the WsusScn2.cab file you can check ‘Properties > Digital Signatures’. Check this on both the BatchPatch computer in the cache directory as well as on the target computer (in the remote working directory, which defaults to C:\Program Files\BatchPatch). If the file does not have a ‘Digital Signatures’ tab, that would indicate it is corrupted. This could happen during the initial download to the BatchPatch cache folder or when BatchPatch copies it to the target computer’s working directory. If both are missing the ‘Digital Signatures’ tab, delete both, and then initiate a fresh download of the file using ‘Tools > Download Microsoft offline scan file’. Check the file properties to make sure there is a digital signature before attempting again.

n8johnson
    Participant

I checked the WsusScn2.cab and the Digital Signatures are there in the cache and on the host. I have patched several other boxes today with the same cab file as well.

doug

I didn’t realize you were only experiencing this on a single machine. That then obviously indicates a problem with the particular computer, not with the WsusScn2.cab. I would try rebooting that 2016 machine first, and assuming that doesn’t solve the issue I would try resetting the Windows Update components on it. The link below can help you with that. If still no luck, I unfortunately don’t have any other suggestions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.