Stopped working after clients upgraded to Win11

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Stopped working after clients upgraded to Win11

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by spowell.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    spowell
    Participant

We’ve been using BP to deploy software remotely using an elevated token and it’s been working great until we started upgrading the client machines to Windows 11 (22H2). The error it generates is:

Error: Failed to create remote working directory. Please check permissions on the target computer and verify your target working directory path in Actions > Deploy > Create/modify deployment: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

I tried checking the event log on the client computer but there’s nothing in it. Since it mentioned logon type I tried checking the ‘interactive’ checkbox under the Remote Execution Context but that didn’t make a difference. I tried doing it as SYSTEM rather than Elevated Token but it still failed (same error).

From the same machine I get that error from I can navigate to \\computername\c$\program files\batchpatch and create a file there, so I don’t think it’s a file permission error. I know the error said logon type but I try to check everything I can.

Any other ideas for things I can try? We’ve been using it for a couple years on Win10 and it’s paid for itself many times over!

spowell
    Participant

To clarify, the upgrade to Win11 worked great, we even deployed that through BatchPatch!

But once the machine is Windows 11 (22H2) we can’t do any further deployments without generating that error.

doug

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues. It’s tough for me to say what exactly might be causing the issue. It pretty much has to be a permissions issue of some kind, but it’s weird that upgrading to Win 11 would cause it. My best guess about why the upgrade triggered the problem is because of your Group Policy settings. I’m guessing that you have different policies applied to Win 11 (or not applied), and so after the upgrade the differing policies ended up producing this unexpected result. I would suggest Googling this Windows error:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

You’ll see lots of results with various potential causes and resolutions. I’d start working through those one by one to isolate what exactly is happening in your environment since the issue isn’t exactly a BatchPatch issue per se but rather is something to do with your permissions in Windows. It would be great if you could report back here when you isolate the exact cause.

spowell
    Participant

Thanks Doug,

I’ll poke around and let you know if we can find anything. There’s someone here that’s been using it longer than I but he’s been out of the office so it may be a few days.

Sam

doug

I suspect that if you try to log on directly to the target computer as the account that you’re using that creating this permission issue, you’ll likely see that same message at logon. As mentioned, this isn’t a BatchPatch issue per se. It’s a Windows permissions issue, so it will need to be troubleshot from that standpoint, not from anything that’s specific to BatchPatch. But ok just keep us posted here. Thanks.

spowell
    Participant

Just following up.

I still don’t know what the problem is, but it’s something specific to the machine I was using. I created a fresh VM and installed there and it’s working for the most part. Just a little bummed because we tried to make a central remote management machine and then one of the tools we used for that purpose won’t work on it.

I guess it’s just a problem with this type of program. The number of external factors that could impact it is probably a couple orders of magnitude higher than standard programs so you have to take that into account.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.