Windows update source?

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Windows update source?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joakim
    Participant

Hi,
    Complete noob-question, but I just wanted to verify. I tested Batchpatch on a couple of servers that normally gets their patches from SCCM – and Batchpatch listed several missing patches.

I also ran the get windows update configuration – and that repored the sccm URL.

When checking for missing updates in this scenario, what does it check against? SCCM? Microsoft? Your catalog?

doug

There is a setting in BatchPatch that controls where a BatchPatch search for updates will look when executed against a given target computer:

Tools > Settings > Windows Update > Server Selection

Default / Managed: Uses the target computer’s existing configuration to determine where to search for updates.

Windows Update: Bypasses the target computer’s configuration and searches for updates on Microsoft’s public server. Includes only Windows updates.

Microsoft Update: Bypasses the target computer’s configuration and searches for updates on Microsoft’s public server. Includes Windows updates AND updates for other Microsoft products. Before using Microsoft Update, target servers must be opted-in to the service. See Actions > Windows Updates > Opt-in…

However, if you have SCCM in your environment, it’s important to understand that SCCM utilizes its own WSUS server. Once SCCM takes control of a WSUS during the setup/configuration of SCCM, that WSUS can no longer be used by a non-SCCM application like BatchPatch to search for updates. So, if your target computers are configured via Group Policy to search for updates on a WSUS that is controlled by your SCCM server, then if you use BatchPatch to initiate a scan for available updates, and if BatchPatch’s Server Selection setting is set to Default/Managed, BatchPatch will always report No applicable updates. In order to use BatchPatch with a WSUS, the WSUS must be independent. It cannot be linked to or controlled by SCCM.

Based on what you have said, it seems like your BatchPatch server selection setting must currently be configured to either use Windows Update or Microsoft Update otherwise if BatchPatch’s server selection setting were set to Default/managed then we would not expect BatchPatch to find any available updates when searching for updates on a target computer that is configured to be using SCCM, even if there are updates available according to the SCCM console.

We have more details on BatchPatch in SCCM in environments here: Can BatchPatch Be Used to Install Windows Updates through SCCM?

joakim
    Participant

Wow – thanks for that detailed reply!

I’ll have a closer look on monday

Have a great weekend

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.