Windows 10 Feature Updates

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Windows 10 Feature Updates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ck608
    Participant

Hi – I am demo BatchPatch and so far like what we see.

I have a number of Windows 10 machines needing the 1909 feature update but am so far unable to see this come back as an available “update” in BatchPatch. I have changed the classification setting to “Include Upgrades” but the same machines that are on version 18362 only come back with normal updates.

Am I missing something or is the feature update option not available in the trial version?

I did read the blog about manually downloading this update and deploying it but would prefer a different method for remote PCs.

doug

The version of BatchPatch (evaluation vs full) has no bearing on which updates are visible. All versions of BatchPatch query the Windows Update Agent on the target computer to ask it which updates are available for download/installation. In your case the Windows Update Agent is not reporting the 1909 feature update as available for download/installation. What are you describing has nothing to do with BatchPatch. You would see the same if you looked at the Windows Update control panel directly on the target computer. There are a couple main reasons this could be happening. It’s possible that there could be some other reason, but these are the two primary reasons we would expect to see such behavior:

1. Are you using WSUS, and are your target computers pointing to it? If yes, then you’ll need to make sure that the WSUS has downloaded the update in question, and that the update is approved for installation on target computers. If not, then target computers pointing to that WSUS will not see it as an available update.

2. Group policy or local policy could be configured to defer receiving feature updates. The particular policy that controls this is under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received

ck608
    Participant

Hi Doug. Thank you for the quick response.

I am actually connected to one of these machines (version 18362) and have Windows Update open showing “Feature Update to Windows 10 1909 is ready to download and install”. This machine is pointing directly to Microsoft for updates not a WSUS server.

BatchPatch shows 2 regular updates for this machine which match up what is shown locally but not the 1909 update.

I have confirmed the IP address matches what BatchPatch reports as well, so no DNS issue.

doug

The following link shows every possible reason that we have ever seen for why there could be a discrepancy between what the Windows Update control panel shows as compared to what BatchPatch shows.

Based on everything you’ve said, I wonder if you have GPO in place (mentioned in my previous posting above, and should definitely be checked by you to confirm if that’s the reason for what you’re seeing or not) that is deferring feature updates, and that Windows is presenting the feature update in the Windows control panel as an optional/”seeker” update. Optional “seeker” updates are described in item 8 of the link below. BatchPatch can find these updates too, if needed. If 1909 is being delivered as an optional update, then it implies that you *do* have GPO in place that’s set to defer feature updates.

batchpatch-and-the-windows-update-control-panel-report-a-different-number-of-available-updates

ck608
    Participant

Hi Doug. I did check Group Policy for that setting – it was set to not configured. As soon as I enabled it the machine downloaded and installed 1909 automatically, so I will need to test on a different machine moving forward.

I will go through the steps in that link while working on a different machine.

Thanks

doug

OK thanks. Please post back to this thread with your findings.

-Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.