Stuck on Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Stuck on Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blux
    Participant

I’m evaluating batch patch and when attempting to do any Windows Updates on remote systems. It gets as far as “Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe” Then just sits there for an infinite amount of time. Halp!

Windows Update Messages

Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe… – 15:59:09

All Messages

Fri-15:59:09> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Fri-15:59:08> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Install downloaded updates) …

Fri-15:59:08> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Fri-15:59:08> Windows Update: Initializing…

Fri-15:59:08> Windows Update: Queued… (Install downloaded updates + reboot if required)

doug

It’s probably not actually “stuck.” You can see on the remote host if the “BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe” is still listed in the running processes. If yes, then it’s still running. The Windows Update Agent has gotten slower and slower over time at searching for updates, in particular when run on machines with slow processors. Microsoft has released a number of updates to the Windows Update Agent over the past year, all with the intention of of improving performance in those cases, but we have found that it has been mostly unsuccessful. I have one machine that took 6 minutes to scan this month, and a second machine that took almost 3 hours. This isn’t a BatchPatch issue per se but rather is an issue with the Windows Update search on the target computer. Even when searching manually using the control panel GUI and not using BatchPatch, the machines that are slow with BatchPatch will also be slow with manual searching.

-Doug

z10n
    Participant

batchpatch requires “batchpatchremoteagent.exe” installed correct? how do I do that to my host machine? where do can get it

zzglenn
    Participant

Thanks Doug.

Yeah, its a mix. Some servers run a download, update, install within minutes and others just sit there for hours. Some will time out others will finish. Ok I will keep an eye on things.

z10n the remote agent runs when you execute a job from the batchpatch console. It will use psexec to send the agent to the target system to run. No need to install.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.