Saved Jobs Disappearing

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Saved Jobs Disappearing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jsira7
    Participant

Yesterday evening I created a Saved Deployment Job as well as a Saved Copy Job. I then created a Saved Job Queue deployment to combine the both of these. This morning, all 3 disappeared. I even created them again from scratch and it disappeared again. This isn’t the first time this has happened. Any ideas why this would happen? I am currently running version 2018.3.28.16.13

doug

We have had zero reports of this ever happening, and we have never experienced it here. There are only two things that I can think of…

1. Are you saving them in one user profile but then looking for them in a different one? So if you are running BP as userA and saving them, but then looking for them by running BP as userB (or as running as admin vs not running as admin, for example?), that could make it seem like they are missing when in fact they are there but just not where you are looking.

2. Are you running multiple instances of the BatchPatch.exe? If you are creating/saving them in one instance of BatchPatch.exe but they don’t exist in the other instance of the BatchPatch.exe, then this could easily create a scenario where you inadvertently overwrite all of the saved stuff with the other instance.

jsira7
    Participant

We always use the same user profile when using Batch Patch. That’s the odd thing… I have multiple saved deployments, but it just started doing this within the past 2-3 saved jobs. As far as your second question, I’m only saving to one of them. I went ahead and pushed windows updates to the Batch Server… And I noticed there’s a newer version out there of Batch Patch. I will try this again and report back. Thanks Doug

doug

The new version of BatchPatch will not be any different as far as this issue is concerned. The way you responded left it unclear if you are using multiple instances of BP, but it sounds like you are, yes? That’s surely the problem. If you have two or more instances running, whichever instance is closed last will control which commands you see when you launch a new instance. We’ll look at ways we can improve this in a future version, but for now you’ll need to be mindful of the order that you close instances. Or if you are going to make updates to commands/queues/deployments etc, do it with only a single instance open.

jsira7
    Participant

We use two different instances of Batch Patch, but each instance is on a different server. And we use their assigned user profile. For example, ServerA uses userA and ServerB uses userB. They are 2 separate entities residing on different boxes if that helps.

doug

Oh, ok. That makes sense. So yeah if they are on two separate servers then it would not be an issue. It would only be an issue if you launched batchpatch.exe more than one time on the same server or if you used ‘File > New window’ in BatchPatch, which works the same way by launching a new instance of batchpatch.exe. If you have only a single batchpatch.exe running on a computer, then there will be no overwriting occurring. That said, at the moment I have zero guesses as to what could be causing your issue. Not that it should make a difference, but do you have an unusually large number of saved commands/deployments/queues etc? I would suggest that you do a test. Close all instances of batchpatch.exe. Then launch a single instance of batchpatch.exe. Then add a single item (command/copy job/queue/deployment etc). Then close and reopen BP. Is it still there? What about other items that previously existed? So for example are ALL items cleared or does it seem like only the ones that you are creating new are being cleared? Almost sounds like there is something preventing BP from writing to the user hive of the registry? The items are saved in HKCUSoftwareBatchPatch under values titled SavedUserDefined…XXX

jsira7
    Participant

Thanks Doug… I do have a bunch of saved commands. I went ahead and deleted some that aren’t being used anymore and it appears to be holding. Is there a maximum threshold of how many commands can be saved?

doug

BatchPatch does not impose limits, but Windows does have limits to how large reg values can get, depending on the OS. What OS are you running BP on?

We’ll look into getting this sorted out for a future version and prob saving them to a file rather than the reg.

jsira7
    Participant

Currently running on Windows Server 2012 R2

doug

Thanks.

ExhaustedTech
    Participant

Just FYI in case anyone comes across this later, this has happened to me too but I was able to figure out why. When I create any new Deployments, Job Queues, etc., I have to close down Batchpatch properly in order for them to save. Meaning, you can’t create the new Deployment, then try to log off or restart the computer with Batchpatch still open. If you do that, it doesn’t save. At least in my experience. I’ve lost several hours of newly created queues because my PC froze up on me when I still had BP open and I forcefully rebooted it. All of those new jobs were gone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.