Recommended Max Rows

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Recommended Max Rows

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jjlandstrom
    Participant

What are the recommended max rows or is it based on compute power. I had a scheduled service job with 450 servers to patch and saw a couple of issues. The job did patch all the servers that didn’t have other problems and I was able to get past both issues.

1. At the end of the job I couldn’t (launch .bps files in viewer) error

Error retrieving service instance data: The maximum message size

quota For incoming messages (2000000) has been exceeded. To

increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on

the appropriate binding element.

2. Email reports wouldn’t send without breaking out into smaller groups. I removed from run in service and could get past the quota error but could get the email row to send until I split between two tabs.

Just looking for recommendations for future jobs.

Thanks in advance Doug,

Jason Landstrom

doug

Hi Jason –

For the message size quote issue… first try restarting the service. This might resolve it. If not, then it would seem that the amount of data in the grid that you have running in the service is too large. This seems odd/unlikely, but it’s possible. Based on our testing the 2000000 max should be more than enough for the very large majority of situations. The number of rows itself shouldn’t be a problem. 450 rows isn’t all that many. It really comes down to how much data is in each row. If you have been using the same .bps file running in the service for a long time, then it’s possible over time that it eventually became too large. We have not seen this ever happen before in practice, and in our testing the 2000000 always seemed like a *very* large amount of overhead. This is why I wonder if you might just need to restart the service to solve the problem. Let me know, however, if restarting it isn’t enough in this case. And if that’s the case then I would suggest you either start a new grid (instead of using the old grid that contains lots of historical data) or delete all the column data from your existing grid except for the columns that you need like host name, scheduled task, job queue etc.

With regard to the email reports… I’m not sure what to make of this. Was there an error of some kind? It should not matter how many rows are in the grid or how much data is in the grid. This kind of implies that something is/was going on with the system. I wonder if after a reboot or a re-launch of BP with the .bps files everything would be back to normal. In general, there is no limitation to the number of rows that you can send email to.

-Doug

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.