MS SMB Patch for WinXP

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum MS SMB Patch for WinXP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ecsaw
    Participant

Would it be possible to remotely install the standalone patch that MS just released for XP/Win8? I tried using the Download Offline mode and it generated the catalog but this latest patch (KB4012598) is not in the list. Thanks.

doug

BatchPatch has a deployment feature that lets you deploy exe, msi, msp, msu, vbs, ps1, and more. I just downloaded the XP patch from Microsoft, and it’s in exe format. In this case you probably would need to add the /quiet switch in the deployment parameters.

There are numerous tutorials for deploying exe files to remote computers here: BatchPatch Software Deployment

ecsaw
    Participant

Thanks Doug, noted on the parameter as I noticed it was in the .exe format as well.

James_K
    Participant

I used the free version to deploy the manual patch to an XP machine yesterday although the above is incorrect

you must use the parameters /M /Q for an unattended quiet install otherwise it just hangs.

booster
    Participant

I simply used the KB selection and sort the by OS

– select all hosts>get information> OS (to sort by OS)

– method 2 https://batchpatch.com/remotely-install-only-a-subset-of-available-windows-updates

doug

James_K – Perhaps it depends on the format that you download the update in. The update that I downloaded from Microsoft’s site is “WindowsXP-KB4012598-x86-Custom-ENU.exe” and when I run it at the cmd prompt with the /? as ” WindowsXP-KB4012598-x86-Custom-ENU.exe /? “switch, I am shown all of the available switches on the installer. In this case it says that it supports the /quiet switch but it but it does not make mention of /M /Q. I don’t have any XP computers here to install it on as a test.

booster – Thank for the info. I think when the patch was first released people were not seeing it appear yet in WSUS or through Windows Update, hence why they needed to download and distribute the offline installer.

-Doug

ecsaw
    Participant

Some further updates too from my end :

I’ve tried using the /quiet /promptrestart switches and the process seems to be hanging on our test machine. These 2 switches works properly when done locally.

With just the /quiet switch, it works but the machine reboots automatically which isn’t business friendly for our site.

Further testing with /quiet /norestart, seems to work but we have to inform the users manually for the reboot instead.

I’ll try the method suggested by booster today, thanks!

doug

Note you can also use the ‘send message’ menu item under ‘Actions’ to notify the users with a popup message.

ecsaw
    Participant

Still trying to run a batch file instead which pulls the exe into the PC’s local drive and execute it. Unfortunately I keep getting Exit Code 2 (File not found) when I deploy that batch file…any ideas?

doug

Running a batch file is unnecessary. You can simply deploy the .exe file directly using the BatchPatch deployment feature and adding the appropriate silent installation switch. If you want to include a pop-up notification to the user, then I would add a custom remote command in BP with the following syntax:

MSG * "This is the message text"

You can then create a job queue with the deployment as step 1 and the custom remote command message as step 2.

However, if you are set on using a batch file instead for whatever reason, it will not work the way that you are trying to do it. The following link explains how you would have to modify your deployment to make it work.

https://batchpatch.com/deploying-a-script-with-relative-instead-of-absolute-paths

-Doug

ecsaw
    Participant

Thanks Doug for the info. Appreciate your feedback so far on this, I think we’re able to get it deployed now.

James_K
    Participant

The lack of information on the /M /Q switches was what threw me for a while

the /quiet /norestart (or /promptrestart) switches only apply to the .MSU file type updates but the hotfix .exe updates need to use /M (unattended install) and /Q (no UI)

I also noted it doesn’t force a reboot even if you do not use a /norestart type command with the .exe file

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.