Error 1620: 2. Failure

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Error 1620: 2. Failure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    StevenPD
    Participant

Hi,

On a couple of my servers, one 2008 r2 and the other 2008, I am continually receiving the following error:

Fri-12:00:02> Windows Update: Error 1620: 2. Failure

Fri-12:00:02> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\servernameC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

I went on the respective servers to look for the log file and it doesn’t exist. I did check out the batchpatch.log file and it didn’t have anything related to that error in the log file.

Thanks,

Steven

doug

Hello Steven – let me refer you to these two other threads. Please review them carefully, and let me know if you have any luck with the suggestions. Essentially, this issue has been reported by only a very small number of users, and it’s always only happening on just one or two of their servers. We have not so far been able to reproduce the problem.

error-2-hresult-2147024894-could-not-find-file

error-2-very-often-server-2012-r2-on-domain-controllers

StevenPD
    Participant

The server 2008 r2 error changed to the following after I added an exception to the antivirus for the batch patch folder on the server

Mon-17:05:24> Windows Update: Error 1620: -6. Failure

Mon-17:05:24> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\servernameC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

I was able to run psexec ipconfig /all against the remote machine, I stopped and deleted all psexesvc processes, and I switched psexec for paexec. I even turned off UAC and rebooted the computer several times.

Steven

doug

I think the 'Error 1620: -6. Failure' is essentially the same as the Windows Update: 'Error 1620: 2. Failure' with the only difference being that using PsExec gives you the 2, while using PaExec gives you the -6. Both are failing in BP at the same spot.

According to the PaExec home page, -6 means:

PAExec service could not be installed/started on remote server

I think ultimately the issue you are having with this particular computer is definitely related to PsExec and PaExec failing to operate successfully, which is what we saw in those other threads I linked to above. It’s peculiar that you are able to successfully run the 'psexec \targetComputer IPCONFIG' test, despite psexec and paexec not operating successfully for use with BP right now on that target. Unfortunately I am not able to offer you any other possible solutions/fixes. We have even heard of this issue spontaneously correcting itself for no apparent reason.

-Doug

StevenPD
    Participant

Switching back to psexec I get the following error

Tue-10:39:34> Windows Update: Error 1620: 5. Failure

Tue-10:39:34> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ‘\servernameC$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

Not sure whether this is related to either of the error messages I posted above.

Steven

doug

I think they are all ultimately from the same cause, which is that PsExec and PaExec are failing to operate successfully on that target. Under normal circumstances when these apps operate, they are able to create the target remote service/process, and when completed running, they are able to successfully remove the service. It sounds like this is not happening successfully for you. We have heard of this a few times, and it’s always just one or two problematic computers out of hundreds or thousands. Aside from switching from PsExec to PaExec or to an older version of PsExec (v 1.98 or earlier) and then switching back, we have not ever determined a definitive solution.

One other thing to try is see what happens when you run BatchPatch on a different computer. There was one case, if I am remembering correctly, where a problematic target stopped being problematic when the admin ran the BP console from a different computer.

-Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.