"Error 1611: 64 failure" when Checking for Windows Updates

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum "Error 1611: 64 failure" when Checking for Windows Updates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    erwin_jong
    Participant

Several servers cannot be remotely managed by Batchpatch.

I’ve checked WMI and access to those servers which is fine and no firewall is running on the server or between the client with batchpatch or the remote server.

If I run batchpatch locally on the server everything works.

Error 1611 according to another topic should be a windows error message (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681385(v=vs.85).aspx)

ERROR_INDEX_ABSENT

1611 (0x64B)

Component qualifier not present.

Does anyone know what is the problem here ?

doug

Hi Erwin – 1611 is a BatchPatch internal code, not a system error code. The important number here is the 64, which means

ERROR_NETNAME_DELETED

64 (0x40)

The specified network name is no longer available.

The questions I have for you are:

1. What version of BatchPatch are you using? Does the problem occur with the latest version of BatchPatch?

2. Are you using Integrated Security or are you specifying alternate credentials for the hosts in question?

3. What OS are you running BatchPatch on?

4. What OS is running on the problematic target host?

Something appears to be causing the network connection to be severed before BatchPatch finishes its work. However, it’s unclear what that might be. Maybe some type of host intrustion protection software running on the target? I’m not sure.

Thanks,

Doug

erwin_jong
    Participant

Hello Doug, i’m using the last version as far as i know.

Batchpach Client version is 2014.8.13.22.50

Integrated security is used. i did a test with alternate credentials but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. using alternate credentials i get an Error 1620: 64 unknown failure.

OS is running on Windows 7 / Windows 2012 and the remote hosts are all different OSes from Windows 2003 to Windows 2012.

Your last input could be helpfull , we have Symantec running with threat protection.

The only strange thing is that there are enough servers that do not have a problem and also run the same symantec product.

I will look into that and get back to this, probably tomorrow

Thanks for the info. i will gather more info when i get back on this.

doug

Erwin – It does sound like the Symantec Threat Protection could be the culprit. I understand that some servers that have this software are not having a problem, but it could just be a timing issue (timing of how long it takes for the threat protection to sever the connection vs how long it takes for the Windows Update action to complete on the server), with some servers completing quickly enough to avoid being killed by the Symantec app. Let me know how it goes.

-Doug

erwin_jong
    Participant

it is still very unclear what the problem exactly is. By accident i noticed that from a VPN connection i do not have the errors that i do have when i am connected by LAN.

This does not excludes Symantec entirely but could point towards something else. I asked the network engineers what could be a possible reason for this.

Running it locally there is no problem so the question is which communication is needed for reporting back the output of the “Check for available Updates” to the machine where the Batchpatch Client is running.

in the mean while i’m searching further for more info.

erwin_jong
    Participant

after further investigation it seems that all actions are working on each remote server except for the response back to the BatchPatch client application machine.

Several logfiles ares created and temporary the batchpatch executable is present in %ProgramFiles%BatchPatch. Also the batchpatch Console waits until everything is done and only then the error appears.

i am now searching for which traffic is send to report this response back.

doug

Erwin – thank you for all of this additional information. The behavior is VERY peculiar. It’s especially weird that things work properly over your VPN connection but not on the LAN. This makes me wonder if the issue is possibly related to your DNS configuration. I would suggest trying to use the IP address instead of the computer name in the BatchPatch grid. Let’s see what happens in that case. If it works properly, then the issue is likely to be with your DNS configuration. If it produces the same error, then we would know that the issue is probably not related to DNS.

When you said that the issue does not occur over the VPN connection, are you using the same source computer to run BatchPatch or are you running BatchPatch on a different source computer? I understand that the target computer is the same in these tests, but perhaps the issue is related to the computer that is running the BatchPatch console and NOT the target computer? Is there some application that runs on the source computer that could be responsible for briefly severing the network connection?

-Doug

erwin_jong
    Participant

Hello, I’ve been sick for a week so therefore only now a reply.

I’ve tested a bunch of servers that gave the Error 1611 but they all show a Remote Agent Log with the updates that are needed. The same happens when connecting to these target computers based on ipaddress.

So why then an error if Batchpatch can succesfully retrieve the windows update information ?

i use the same source computer at work and at my home with VPN so there is no difference in that.

I checked if a target computer can resolve the name of the source computer and that is no problem.

What is strange is that with a VPN connection i don’t get Error 1611 on a few of the servers that have these errors, and i do get it on a source computer in the LAN. Most of the server report Error 1611 but do report Windows update information about updates when i open the Windows Updates Messages information.

I tested this with several source computers and it almost the same as for a little number of servers.

The Windows Update Messages shows the Error but beneath that information The Remote Agent Log shows al the right information. Unfornately this way the tool does not provide a quick overview of which servers need windows patches.

Further i have also several servers that report the Error -102 and when i check those target computers i see that the batchpatch.log also shows the needed updates.

doug

Hi Erwin – I emailed you directly so that we can continue troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Doug

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.