Checking for specific process

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Checking for specific process

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ncawthon
    Participant

I noticed in the recent update that it was possible to find a specific running process on machines. This new feature is a very welcome edition!

Is it possible to search for multiple processes in one ‘query’? Or do you have to do them one at at a time?

Thanks!

doug

Currently you have to do them one at a time. I’d be curious to understand how/why you plan to use this feature. Your thoughts might help us improve it.

Thanks,

Doug

ncawthon
    Participant

We have several monitoring / IPS solutions that help us keep our network safe. We had an occurrence of a user infecting a workstation and triggering several alarms. After narrowing down the infection list and researching their patterns, we had a list of running processes the infection creates.

It would be handy to enter a list of running processes and check against running hosts to verify they were not running.

EDIT: Also might be handy to have a ‘search for existing file’. Kinda of a bulky feature / function, I admit.

doug

Thanks for explaining. That is definitely helpful. We’ll consider this for a future build. In the meantime, if you want to accomplish this you can use something the following script with BatchPatch to check for multiple running processes. This script is setup to loop until the processes are not found, but it could be easily modified. The link below not only includes the script but also shows how to integrate it with BatchPatch. I hope this helps:

Advanced Script Integration with BatchPatch – Check for running processes on target systems

Another example of script integration plus a sample script:

Advanced Script Integration with BatchPatch – Check for stopped automatic services on target systems with exclusions list

ncawthon
    Participant

Doug,

Sorry for the late response. This is very interesting! I will look into this and see if it will work for us. Thank you so very much. Batch Patch has been an amazing tool.

ncawthon
    Participant

Doug,

That VB script worked! I commented out the loop and added the lines below:

If boolIsProcessRunning = 0 Then

WScript.Quit(0)

else

WScript.Quit(1)

End If

After adding the list of processes to the array and then running this against machines in the batchpatch grid, it will return and 0 or 1 based on if it finds the process(es) or not.

Thank you very much for your help!

doug

Perfect! Glad you worked it out. Thanks for posting an update.

Take care,

Doug

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.