Blocking Skype for Business Installation…

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum Blocking Skype for Business Installation…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ajgreen
    Participant

Hello, I’m trying to hide/block the installation of Skype for Business in my organization – it appears that I’m missing a step(or a specific KB to block). Here are my steps:

1. Save ‘hide updates’ list that includes KB2876229, KB3054791, KB3039779, and KB2889853.

2. Right click on all of the computers and select – Hide updates, and wait for the search to complete on all of the machines.

After installing updates and rebooting, Skype for business is installed. I’m referencing http://www.infoworld.com/article/2909525/security/re-issued-patch-kb-3013769-crashes-skype-for-business-rolls-win10-nagware-kb-2990214-resurfaces.html to include KB2889853 in my list. What KB or other step am I missing?

I appreciate the help in advance…

doug

The steps you followed to hide an update are correct. When you use BatchPatch to hide an update, the “Remote Agent Log” column will show the log of what was completed, and you can confirm that the update was hidden. Also, after you hide an update, if you then do a subsequent search for updates or download/install updates, the “Remote Agent Log” for that action will not include the hidden update, so you can confirm that too. This log is also saved to C:Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatch.log on the target computer, so you can review it at any time. If you need assistance making sense of your log, feel free to email it to me for review. However, in your case it sounds like the update was hidden but was then later somehow re-released by Microsoft, or the update was never successfully hidden in the first place. I’m not sure, but it should be something that you can easily confirm by reviewing the logs.

-Doug

jwiseguy
    Participant

You could also block this KB updates on your WSUS Server.

ajgreen
    Participant

Doug, I’m emailing you an example of where the update is hidden and then still shows in a subsequent update search…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.