1611: 5 error on SCCM distribution points.

BatchPatch Forums Home Forums BatchPatch Support Forum 1611: 5 error on SCCM distribution points.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tjohnson333
    Participant

We just installed BatchPatch for our servers and for a number of them we are seeing a few errors. The first is a set of SCCM distribution points that are all getting the same error – 1611 : 5. I have checked security rights and rebooted the systems but we still get the same message for all of them. We see the agent install on the servers and it appears to run, but we always get the same results. Here is the log from one of the systems:

Windows Update Messages

Error 1611: 5. Failure – 07:33:46

All Messages

Fri-07:33:46> Windows Update: Error 1611: 5. Failure

Fri-07:33:46> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ’18DP01C$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

Fri-07:32:31> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Fri-07:32:30> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Search for updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ ¦ Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Fri-07:32:30> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Fri-07:32:30> Windows Update: Initializing…

Fri-07:32:21> Windows Update: Queued… (Check for available updates)

Fri-07:31:48> 018DP01 ONLINE

Fri-07:31:42> 018DP01 OFFLINE

Fri-07:31:18> Reboot/Shutdown: Reboot (force) initiated successfully

Fri-07:31:18> Reboot/Shutdown: Attempting to initiate reboot (force)…

Fri-07:31:18> Reboot/Shutdown: Failed to initiate reboot. User is logged on.

Fri-07:31:18> Reboot/Shutdown: Attempting to initiate reboot…

Fri-07:25:07> Windows Update: Error 1611: 5. Failure

Fri-07:25:07> Windows Update: Failed to obtain result. Could not find file ’18DP01C$Program FilesBatchPatchBatchPatchTempResult.log’.

Fri-07:24:26> Windows Update: Executing BatchPatchRemoteAgent.exe…

Fri-07:24:21> Windows Update: Attempting to initiate Windows Update (Action: Search for updates: ‘SoftwareOnly’ ¦ Server selection: Default / Managed) …

Fri-07:24:20> Windows Update: Establishing connection…

Fri-07:24:14> Windows Update: Initializing…

Fri-07:23:48> Windows Update: Queued… (Check for available updates)

doug

Can you please look in the application log on the target system. This 5 failure might mean that the batchpatchremoteagent.exe is crashing on the target. 5 can also mean that it’s a permissions issue – ‘access denied,’ but normally a permissions problem would not manifest with this generic 1611: 5 error. A permissions issue would typically instead show up in BP specifically saying ‘Access Denied,’ so I think the agent crashing is more likely here.

When you execute the Windows Update action do you see any log files appear in the target working directory (default location is C:Program FilesBatchPatch on the target system)? These log files would likely only remain in that directory temporarily, so you need to watch the directory while the action is executing. Additionally, please check the task manager processes list. Do you see batchpatchremoteagent.exe and psexesvc.exe?

If the batchpatchremoteagent.exe is crashing on the target, then there is likely something specific to those targets causing the issue, but I couldn’t say what. The remote agent crashing on a target system is indicative of some deeper problems with the target OS. BatchPatch is being run on a very large number of target systems around the world without crashing. Every once in a blue moon we here a report of one or two problematic targets where it crashes for unknown reasons that are likely related to lower-level issues with the target OS installations.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Doug

tjohnson333
    Participant

I don’t see any application crashes or any error event logs that would match up to the application failing. Its really odd that this only happens on our DP point and Hyper-V hosts at each location but the Domain controller and file server at those same locations work without issue. We can manually run the updates and everything works fine. We also see the folder being created and the agent copied over and then appears to run without issue. However while watching the folder, one of two things appears to happen, the agent will disappear and the log files with show up for a split second and then disappear or the log files do not appear to be created at all.

on a whim, I copied the agent executable to my desktop. Is there anyway to run the agent manually with arguments/switches for troubleshooting purposes?

doug

When the agent runs on the target system, the first thing is does is create a few .log files. If there are no indications in the application log of a crash, then it is probably not crashing. The fact that it happens on domain controllers might indicate that it’s some type of permissions issue. Hard to say at the moment. At this point I’d want to take a look at some logs to see if we can figure out any more about what might be happening. I sent you an email.

Thanks,

Doug

tjohnson333
    Participant

Thank you, I think we are onto something here now… running PSEXEC manually came back with access is denied. I looked at the server and saw that the PSEXESVC services was now there. I then tried copying batchpatch and psexec over to one of the problem systems. when I ran it fomr there i was getting 1612 errors. I then tried to move psexec into c:windows and got access denied. Looks like the servers are messed up since I tried this with my domain admin account as well as the local admin account on that server.

doug

Glad you got it narrowed down to permissions. Thanks for the update.

-Doug

tjohnson333
    Participant

Not sure at this point if it is permissions or not. But I do know it is related to the PSEXESVC.exe file that is placed in c:windows. I know the process is supposed to create the file and the service and then remove them when its done but that is not happening. I can remove the service either using SC or through the registry, but I cannot, no matter what account I use, delete the PSEXESVC.exe file. I keep getting access denied. I have looked to see if any processes are using that executable, rebooted the server, tried to reset the security permissions and owner of the file and nothing worked. Its still there.

HOWEVER, I did see your suggestion in another thread to try PAexec and that worked perfectly. It also creates a service and places the file in c:windows but for some reason, the files created by this PAexec are deleted and I am getting my results as expected. I will continue to troubleshoot this issue with PSEXESVC and if I make any headway I will let you know. I doubt I am the only one having trouble with this service even when used outside of batchpatch.

doug

Thanks for reporting back. You might consider trying an app like ProcessExplorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx) to determine file handle ownership (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/232830) to see which program has a lock on the psexesvc.exe file. It could be an anti-virus or similar security related application that isn’t letting it go. If you find no handles, then it might still be strange a permissions issue of some kind.

-Doug

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.